Friday, June 27, 2003

Barcelona Day 2

Hola Amigos,

I awoke this morning to the best news ever. I got into UC Irvine, and basically
came up on 120,000 dollars seeing that as the tuition difference between UCI
and USC. UCI also is one of three medical schools in the US offering
alternative medicine electives. I am very juiced. Back to the viaje.

I woke up refreshed, jump roped for fifteen minutes, and went on a jog with
Leif. I then continued to have the lowest class European breakfast ever, there
wasn´t even bread, just packaged pastries, warm juice, and whole fat milk.
Lovely. Not feeling into the meal, Leif and I cruzed the streets and found a
cutsy little spot with waters for 0,65 Euro and a pair of sandals for Leif. If
only Leif, knew the trouble these sandals would bring him... Got back to the
hostel, woke up Ben and Brain, took the metro to the train station where due to
my recent rehydration a bathroom was all I desired but the first two were
being cleaned. Found one out to my biological relief, literally, made
reservations for a couchet tomorrow evening to Madrid and began el gran
caminando (great Walk). From the train station of Sants estacion, we proceeded
six or seven blocks to the main plaza with the museum of art of Catalonia on
top of a hill. Tow huge 100 foot bell towers marked the entrance to this
gorgeous mall of old building, parks, castles, and Olympic stadiums. The main
plaza consisted of beautifully adorned statues with a multiple tiered fountain
that if working probably shot water from one tier to the next. As we ascended
the stairs to the museum , the stench of urine, bear and all that is Europe
urban aroma was replaced by flowers trees. stray cats scattered from
underneath bushes and hedges to meow hungrily. Lack of funds and a desire to
enlighten ourselves of 17th t 19th century art, we continued to dine at a small
cafe situated behind the art museum and between the Olympic stadium and
swimming pool. For a lovely 3 euro($3.75), I got a baguette with four pieces
of salami, a feast fit for a Spanish king. A little cheese, tomatoes, anything
else would have been nice. The Olympic stadium for all its grandeur is dwarfed
by the beauty and size of just memorial stadium in Berkeley. These euros, no
idea how to build a decent sized stadium. we then continued on a another
quarter mile up hill to take a gondola to the Castillo (Castle). The view of
the skyline and sea was gorgeous and if the smog of the city had lifted we
would have seen all the way to Mallorca and Ibiza. The castle was in good
shape and last renovated in the 18th century. One addition, thanks to our
fascist friend Franco were 20mm artillery anti aircraft guns and turrets
outline the castle. I think one B-52 would have taken Francos bastion and made
it go bye-bye. By this point, we had walked over thee and half miles, and
leifs feet were communicating things not even lacrosse practice could. The
rest of the guys took off and left me to the my vices and the arms and armor
museum inside the castle. A half an hour later, depresses after previously
visiting such museums like the one in Vienna, I left. I took the gondola back
down, and tried to figure out how to get off the mountain back to the hostel
where me and siesta could hang out. after another hour of climbing and making
my own path, I found my cama only to be awakened by the atrocious sound of a
fellow American telling her Dutch bunkmate, I thought my boyfriend and I would
fight after five weeks...., cerra su boca(Shut Up!!!!!). We woke up at
around 9:00pm, went to dinner, bought some Vodka, and called it a night.

Hasta manana,

Pedro

No comments: